- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef or ground Turkey or a combination of the two
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder-not salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder-not salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese-from the green can is OK
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Spinach drained & squeezed very dry-(you can use fresh, just chop it and add to meat mixture)
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms- a 4oz.can is fine
- 1 cup beef/chicken or veggie broth
- 1 can condensed cream of mushrooms
- 2 cups of shredded hash brown potatoes-can use frozen potatoe o’brien or country
- 1 cup Frenches Fried Onions- For topping- At Aldi’s I get a cheddar cheese flavor that is delish!
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine, optional
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 8×8 inch oven safe pan with oil.
- Pour shredded potatoes in the bottom of the greased pan(the ones in the deli or frozen work just fine)
- Combine ground meat of choice, pepper, salt, seasoned salt, garlic & onion powder, grated onion,chopped spinach, 1/4 cup parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Shape into 4 oval patties.
- Place patties over the potatoes in the 8×8 in pan.
- Mix the wine(optional), broth & mushroom soup & mushrooms. Mix until blended.
- Pour over patties and potatoes and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until meat is done through approximately 30 minutes; make sure the meat registers at least 180 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Remove foil from pan and sprinkle the other 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, Frenches fried onions over the top and cook uncovered an addtional 10 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh green salad or steamed broccoli
- This dish can be made ahead and frozen in an appropriate baking dish that is made for freezer to oven baking. Thaw completely before baking OR add an approximately additional 40 minutes to baking time to recipe baking time. Times will vary depending on your make & model of oven and whether it is calibrated correctly
Copy & paste into a word document for a ready made shopping list.
Make a list of things that you use to cook with frequently and make them pantry items
For the meat use either all ground chuck which has a better beefier flavor or ground turkey.
Frozen ground turkey is usually 1/2 the cost per pound as fresh and it works just as well
For a change mix beef with Turkey for a lower cholesterol content and to make the meal a little more inexpensive
I use frozen Ore Ida hash browns, you can use the Ore Ida potato chunks or O Brien Potatoes
You can use the shredded potatoes found in the deli/dairy section.
A 10 ounce frozen box works just fine here.
Fresh spinach can be used without cooking, just chop fresh and put it into the meat mixture.
Fresh mushrooms are the best and most flavorful due to a form of natural occuring monosodium glutamate.
a 4 ounce can of mushrooms is a great substitution.
You can use the green can!
Substitute grated romano, asiago or your favorite cheddar cheese.
Veggie broth or chicken broth can be used as well as a boullion cube with water.